Cider house Setien
- Open from 26th January to 18th April.
- Sunday night and Monday closed.
- Lunches on Saturdays, Sundays and bank holidays. Dinner from Tuesday to Saturday.
- Open in txotx season.
- Bottled cider for sale.
- Parking for cars and coaches.
- Disabled access.
- Payment with is not accepted.
- Natural cider.
- (+34) 943 55 10 14 - 656776788
- Gurutzeta Berri Baserria, Oztaran bailara, 11. 20130 Urnieta.
- See map43.254817, -1.992094
Products and Experiences
Cider Houses in:
- Lekaroz (Baztan)
Cider is made by fermenting the natural juice of cider apples, and has been made and drunk in the Basque Country for thousands of years. Natural cider has no added CO2, water or sugars, and is made according to the strict rules governing it. Finding the right mixture of apples together with each cider maker's experience mean there are a wide range of natural ciders for drinkers to enjoy.
A cider that has been improved over the generations and displays the character of its maker, the hand-made product of experience.
Enjoy of an authentic trip to the Basque Country! An enogastronomic plan like no other around Donostia – San Sebastian!
A weekend plan to discover our origins and enjoy of our traditional gastronomy. Through this route we offer you a stay of two nights and three days. Choose one of our rural hostals, enjoy of different trips through the basque territory and taste cider along with the different menus that our cider houses offer.
PLANNING – 2 NIGHTS 3 DAYS
ARRIVAL TO HOTEL
Room distribution.GUIDED TOUR THROUGH CIDER HOUSE CELLAR
Stroll through the Apple field, manufacturing zone and cellar. Cider tasting and Chorizo Pintxo. Discover our cider houses from the hand of the very manufacturer. You’ll know the families, traditions and culture of an entire territory through basque cider.DINNER – TRADITIONAL CIDER HOUSE MENU AND CIDER TASTING BY TXOTX
Amongst the experiences we can enjoya round our kitchen, a magic ritual awaits us inside our Cider Cellars: the Txotx Experience!
Cider houses are producers and manufacturers of natural cider, the local drink by excellence. These cider houses are the ones which open us their gates to be able to taste all their cider, followed by a traditional menu of a Cider house, cod omelette, fried cod with peppers and, of course, grilled beef with a dessert of Idiazabal cheese, quince and nuts.
BREAKFAST AT HOTELTRIP BY BOARD THROUGH THE PASAIA BAY TO THE ALBAOLA SEA FACTORY
Visit the reconstruction of the San Juan ship, whale ship of the 16th Century. Basque cider has been the drink of those sailors who made long expeditions in search of whales and cod to the New Land, cider has been the drink of farms of the area, and cider houses or taverns of the city. The bottled cider has been the drink of our well known gastronomic societies, and cider is, today, the drink of those who want to enjoy of a good drink of our history.LUNCH - FISH AND GRILLED BEEF AND TASTING OF TXOTX FLAVOURED CIDER
It is said that a basque sailor would drink 3 liters of cider every day during his long trips. The Basque Country has a great sea history and is granted with a great gastronomic tradition in which fish is the protagonist of the main courses.
BREAKFAST AT HOTELVISIT TO THE IGARTUBEITI MUSEUM FARM OF THE 16TH CENTURY
Hidden amongst our mountains we can see as we enter in basque lands big Stone and Wood farms, strongholds that have been hundreds of years up. The structure of the farm has been through centuries the structure of the farm, the cider factory. Surrounded by big apple fields, these farms have accomplished the function of making the necessary cider for the territory, its sailors and its surroundings.VISIT TO THE CHEESE FACTORY AND TASTING OF IDIAZABAL CHEESE D.O.P
Along with agricultura, shepherdship has been one of the most important Jobs of the Basque Country. Cheese factories of our territory open their home gates to visitors that want to know the making of Idiazabal cheese. Sheep are herded in the fields of these farms, at the feet of basque mountains.
This visit brings the possibility of knowing the work of basque shepherds and tasting the fruits of their labor: a really exceptional cheese. Aside of knowing the herds, the milking systems, milk containers, moulds, pressing and refrigerators, amongst other things.
Discover the world of the Basque Country Cider visiting through some cider houses and knowing their producers!
La The Natural Cider of the Basque Country is a country product made 100% with Apples of the Basque Country and with a certified quality. The apples, taken care with a special attention, grant the personality that we’ll be able to taste on bottle or directly from the barrel. In this route that you’ll enjoy from the apple field to the bottle you’ll taste our History.
- 10.00h: CIDER HOUSE 1 – Apple field. You’ll visit an Apple field knowing the old plantation systems, the current ones and looking at the special care that requires the production of the prime material for the Basque Cider – Natural Cider of the Basque Country. You’ll taste different varieties of apple and you’ll have the opportunity of picking the apple with the tool that is used in this zone: “kizkia” and the basket.
- 11.00h: CIDER HOUSE 2 – Production Zone. After picking the Apple, cleaning it and selecting it, we proceed to smash it and press it. While you enjoy all this process, you’ll taste the natural apple syrup obtained in place, the future Basque Cider. You’ll go through the chapters of the history of cider making visiting the modern zone and traditional making zone with old machinery.
- 12.00h: CIDER HOUSE 3 – Cellar and Tasting. The made syrup ends its route in the barrel, at Basque cellars. In there it awaits the fermentation in which it will turn it into the Basque Cider. In the third cider house we’ll explain this production phase, along with the bottling phase. You’ll taste bottled cider. Fine Production to appreciate the process from the syrup to the bottle in your own mouth.
- 13.00h: CIDER HOUSE 4 - Lunch, Traditional Cider House Menu and Cider Tasting. To finish the journey, we’ll taste cider directly from the barrels with the traditional cider house menú, as tradition in the basque territory.
A Sea Of Cider is the proposal to get to know our cultural and gastronomic hegemony!
In the 16th Century fishers and sailors made long expeditions to the New Land, to the hunt of whales and the fishing of cod. The drink by excellence of these sailors was cider and, no more no less, each sailor drank 3 liters of cider every day! The biggest part of cider produced in the basque farms was sent to these expeditions. You’ll know firsthand this reconstruction of the Saint John whale ship from the 16th Century, sunk in the cold Canadian waters. The ship schematics return to their origins and will sail again from where centuries ago has set sail.
“Txoootx!” is the call to taste Natural Cider directly from the barrels while you enjoy a Traditional Menu of a Cider house.
Today around 100 cider houses in the Basque Country and even if traditionally the Txotx season is from January to May, every time there are more cider houses opening their gates during the entire year. Through the Txotx ritual you’ll taste cider from different barrels, in the cellars of our cider houses, followed by a traditional cider house menu. They also offer kids menus and special menus.
TRADITIONAL CIDER HOUSE MENU
- Cod Omelette
- Fried Cod
- Grilled Beef
- Cheese with Quince and Nuts
- Txotx-flavoured Cider
Inside the experiences of the Sagardoa Route we propose you a series of excursions to know our territory through cider. An ancestral product rooted to Basque history, culture and traditions.
A true plan, ideal for the whole family, Friends, couples and office mates.
Choose the one you like!